Nursery is the primary step of crop cultivation. Advance care and management of plant during nursery is important to increase crop production. Nepal Thopa Sinchai provides a complete set of equipments and tools required to establish a Hi-Tech nursery. This includes the following tools;
I. Nursery Tray
Nursery trays are easy and effective means of seedling production. It provides a good growing condition of seedlings without causing any damage of root during transplanting. The seedlings are easily removed with a ball of rooting media from the tray for transplanting and the growth check to transplants from cell trays is minimal when planted in the field compared to the use of other types of transplants. Seedlings from cell trays may be used in manual or automatic translators.
Soil-less mixes are usually used for commercial seedling production. Commercial sterilized soil-less mixtures; coco peat, perlite, granites; are used with added fertilizer and this simplifies the production process. Nursery trays can be used in garden tunnels, greenhouses, and in the field nurseries.
Advantages of using nursery tray
- Shorter growing season and more efficient use of land.
- Higher success rate and early establishment of transplants.
- Seedlings get free from soil borne diseases.
- Improved crop uniformity.
- More accurate prediction of harvest date.
- Facilitates the use of a wider range of herbicides.
- Extends the growing season.
- More efficient use of expensive hybrid seed.
Use of Nursery tray
Nursery trays can be used in garden tunnels, greenhouses, and in the field nurseries. It is suitable for most of the agricultural crops. The trays with small hole size is suitable for small seedlings producing crops; tomato, cabbage, cauliflower, brinjal, chilli, sweet pepper and those with big hole are suitable for the crops like cucumber and other cucurbits.
Nepal drip irrigation supplies nursery trays with various hole size. Appropriate tray according to the type of the crop with respect to seedling size should be used for better result.
II. Coco Peat
Coco Peat is a multipurpose ideal growing media can be used as an ingredient in potting mix and to amend in the soil in horticultural, landscaping and agricultural applications. It is prepared from fibrous coconut husk by washing, drying, sieving and made free form pathogen and other contamination. Its high porosity and high moisture holding capacity makes it an ideal medium for nursery growing. It is totally organic, eco friendly, free from soil borne pathogen and weed.
Advantages of using Coco Peat
- Coco Peat is a very good soil conditioner and it can retain moisture up to eight times of its volume.
- It is consistent and uniform in texture.
- The structure of Coco Peat is useful for the soil conditioning and the Coco Peat has a slow degradation rate so that it can be used in the growth of the plants.
- Coco Peat has the ability to store and release nutrient to plants for extended periods of time.
- The pH value is 5.8 to 6.5; Coco Peat holds water rather than shedding it like traditional peat does.
- It contains air porosity and it helps the plant to have strong roots.
Use of Coco peat
Cocopeat can be used in vegetable gardens, bedding plants, hydroponics, potted Plants, golf course greens, new lawns, potting mixes, green houses, flower gardens, rose cultivation, re-planting, mushroom farming, bonsai mixes, garden beds and growing medium for earthworms.